Tuesday 2 March 2010

Bullying

As everyone knows, bullying is wrong. But I’m sure that many people have reason for doing it. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying it’s a good thing to do; but there has to be reasons, surely.

Speaking as a person who has been on both the good side and bad side of bullying (as the receiver and the giver), I can see the thrill and the pain. Sure, bullying younger children because they were weird looking is a mean thing to do… but it’s also undeniably funny and entertaining. It was one of the ways I got through school alive.

But being on the receiving end was not fun at all. It kind of annoys you when fate turns around and smacks you in the face so hard you see red… but it does seem to knock some sense into you!

My sole reason to bully people was so that they wouldn’t bully me. I figured that if I was ‘hard’ enough, people would leave me alone. But it doesn’t always work out…One day your teacher suggests that you take a trip to the Paintballing Park and the next thing you know you’re the sole target… Ouch

I guess all I’m trying to say is that bullying has consequences and that it happens at all ages, at all walks of life to even those who you least expect. There are loads of examples too:
Cyber bullying
Physical/verbal/psychological bullying
Blackmail
And loads more

It is quite unbelievable how many people are targets and feel the need to take their own lives in the process (scene from Kidulthood http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kidulthood ).

There are many anti bullying sites that are available for us to look at that explain the ins and outs of bullying. Bullying usually starts in the playground, so be aware of what’s going on in your children’s lives… because lets face it…if you don’t really know what’s going on with your kid, you can’t really help them.


http://www.bullying.co.uk/index.php/young-people/advice/introduction-to-bullying.html

2 comments:

  1. i hate bully's its like they have nothing better to do but luckily i haven't been bullied so far! i guess people who are bullies dont have nothing better to do! world would be a better place without bullies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my case it was the other way around. First, it was me who was being bullied, Then I was the bully- but I tried to be soft on my victims. I kinda figured, that being bullied had tought me how to deal with jerks, who find it entartaining to make someone else's lives unpleasurable. And once I've learned more about it, the bullying stopped. Then, I figured that it wouldn't hurt anybody too much if I did some pushing around myself to see what it feels like. It quickly became clear that I wasn't much into it- bullying just wasn't my thing. But it was kinda fun at first- I gotta say. So, I don't blame the guys who bullied me:) (It wasn't traumatic in any way- just mild pushing around. We're buddies now)

    ReplyDelete